Private skating lessons will benefit skaters who are having trouble progressing to the next level, who wish to accelerate their progress or who would like to participate at a more competitive level. Private lessons may be taught only during Freestyle Ice sessions. Private lessons are not permitted during Noon Skate or All Ages Public Skate sessions.
Many of our staff instructors teach private lessons independent of their job at McFetridge Sports Center and set their own schedules based on their availability. If you already know a coach who you/your skater would like to work with, you may speak to the coach directly to see if he/she is available for private lessons.
If you are not familiar with the instructors, you can fill out the Private Lesson Request Form.
Once completed, your form will be posted for the coaches. If a coach has a slot open that you have listed on your form, he/she will contact you and all arrangements will be made directly with the coach.
Private lesson fees vary based on a coach’s experience and qualifications. Most skaters do a ½ hour lesson. The average lesson fee for a ½ hour lesson starts at $30+. The coaching fee is paid directly to the coach.
In addition to paying the coaching fee, there is also an ice time fee. Each skater must register for the lesson ice time online at chicagoparkdistrict.com. Some sessions are purchased for the full session (session lengths vary depending on the time of year) and some sessions can be purchased by individual day/time.
Private coaches who are not employed by McFetridge Sports Center must register online for the lesson ice time to pay the Non-Staff Pro Fee. All coaches must turn in a copy of their Liability Insurance to the Figure Skating Coordinator to keep on file. Ice time for skaters and non-staff coaches must be registered for in advance and before going on the ice.
- All skaters with private lessons must check in at the front desk or with the ice monitor before going on the ice.
- The agreement you enter into with the coach for private instruction is between you (skater/parent) and the coach.
- Make sure you and the private lesson coach exchange contact information.
- Consult the coach directly regarding his/her policy on cancelling and/or rescheduling lessons.
- McFetridge Sports Center and its staff are not responsible in any way for parent/coach communication, scheduling, rescheduling, or cancelling private lessons.
- A maximum of two skaters can be taught at the same time and the skaters must be kept in the immediate control of the coach at all times on the ice.